Monday, February 14, 2011

What's Love Got to Do With It?

My preschooler is quite inquisitive and curious about the world. She asks why people are mean, or why she can’t have a third cupcake and really wants to know the truth. It’s a challenge for me to be honest, yet age-appropriate sometimes. But when she asked me about Valentine’s Day, I told her simply, “It’s a day to tell people you love them.” Oh, the wisdom sequestered in her brain…she replied, “But I do that every day!” My response? I commenced to ask her what she thought about love:

 
Me: What is love?

Pie: It’s when you really, really, really, really love someone.

 
Me: But what does love mean?

Pie: It means you love them really a lot.



Me: (Trying a different approach) Who invented love?

Pie: You…and me!


Me: How did we do that?

Pie: You loved me when I came out of your tummy.



Me: When did you love me?

Pie: All the time.

 
Me: Why do we love people?

Pie: ‘Cause they are nice.


Me: Do we love mean people?

Pie: No, but Jesus does.


Me: Who do you love?

Pie: Lots of people?






Me: Like who?

Pie: Weeellll, you… and Mini (the dog). And Mimi and Poppy. And Papa. And Aunt Susie and Pickle Juice, Aunt Stephie and Uncle JimPa….and Parker!


Me: Anybody else?

Pie: Miss Krista and Miss Wendy. And Autumn.

 
Me: Is that it?

Pie: For now…I might love other people some day. That OK Mama?



Me: Yes, that’s OK.

Pie: Can I go outside and play?


So, the message is clear…love the nice people and let Jesus sort out the rest.





1 comment:

  1. Some things don't need to be explained; they just ARE. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete