Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Dearest Pie: A letter to My Kindergartner

My Dearest Pie,



You are about to begin your educational journey by starting kindergarten soon. All the preparation we’ve made together for your first day will fade away as soon as you leave the relative safety of my vehicle and walk into your new school and away from me. I will have to release your hand and watch as you take your new teacher’s hand and stroll bravely into your new classroom. This is just another stop in the endless farewell that is being a parent.


I am so excited for you! You will make new friends and enjoy new experiences and learn new things. It will be such fun for me to watch you grow and blossom every day, but it also reminds me that these days are fleeting, The past five years flew by so fast that I can hardly remember you growing up into such a beautiful little girl. But one thing I will never forget is that I am proud to be your Mama.


I admit that I am not a perfect parent; I have flaws and shortcomings just like every other parent on the planet. No matter what mistakes I made, I was willing to learn about how to be better for you. I hope that I have provided you with tools to navigate your way through school and know that I love the smart, witty, imaginative child you are.


I’m not saying that kindergarten will be easy. You will have days where you will come home frustrated by an assignment, or mad at a classmate or sad about something that happened on the playground. We’ll get through it together. It scares me to let you go out into this less-than-perfect world, but it is my fervent hope that your presence in it makes it just a little better.


My child, I wish for you these two things; to give you roots, to give you wings.




Love,


Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment