Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Birthday Wishes

Today is my birthday. This particular milestone marks the last year of my mid-forties. It was a pretty good day, I guess. I’m okay with having another birthday, really, I am. But I wish it were still socially acceptable to have a big deal made about the day of my birth.  I am an only child AND I am adopted, so every birthday of my childhood was a celebration of epic proportions. But as I have aged, I find that not many people like celebrating birthdays – theirs or anyone else’s. It reminds them of their own mortality. So, as I blow out my (nonexistent) birthday candles, I wish…

…people could embrace their special day and truly celebrate being alive. So many humans are suffering, starving and struggling, but most of us are more afraid of noticing a new line around the eyes or another gray hair than of losing our home in a natural disaster!
…that everyone could relax and enjoy accolades from friends, family and co-workers regardless of expense, time or medium. I was thrilled that I had nearly 40 Facebook messages wishing me a happy birthday. Where else could I get that kind of recognition? Gotta love the Facebook!
… it was not an embarrassment to have plowed through an entire box of Rice Krispie Treats in a day, but it is and I have to live with that. 
… my daughter could sit still and quietly for 10 minutes. Not just for my birthday, but ANY day!
…my old friends knew how much I really miss them and my current friends knew how much I love them.
…my bathroom had a whirlpool tub in it.
… I could parlay my love of words into a lucrative income-generating vehicle.
… I could bring myself to lather, rinse and repeat.
… I liked to eat tomatoes. I don’t, but I really want to – they look so pretty and appetizing on the outside, but something just ain’t right on the inside. Hard to explain.  
… the Dancing With The Stars results show was just half an hour.
… I was more patient and better at juggling the needs of my daughter and father.
… had the time to develop an idea I have for a book  that I think could be really awesome.
… lived closer to people I love dearly and miss desperately.
… Charlie Sheen would get his shit together.
… for President Obama to be re-elected in order to fulfill his destiny as THE preeminent President of the 21st century.


… that my father had wished me a Happy Birthday just once today.

No comments:

Post a Comment