Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bathroom Business



Tonight, I experienced a potential tragedy; one that most likely would have broken the hearts of my friends and family and then would be exploited in the local media for a week or two. It’s been over three hours since it happened and I am still shaking. This forum is the best way for me to process it.

For a while, The Pie has taken baths by herself, only needing my help when it comes to shampooing. She likes to loll around in the warm water, wash herself, then call me in. This evening I thought she had been in the tub long enough – a few minutes past her bedtime, actually – so I went to check her progress. I said her name three times and she did not respond.

I gently shook her and she turned to me, startled. She had fallen asleep in the tub. Her angelic face mere inches from the water line that could, at any time, have slipped beneath the surface and stolen her breath. In the seconds it took me to get her awake and out of the tub, my mind flashed myriad scenarios of an undesired outcome. My heart banged in my chest so loudly I thought even my mostly deaf father could hear it. I heard blood rushing in my ears, beginning to prepare my brain for what I might find.  

Of course, The Pie is fine. Today was her tumbling class and it always wears her out. She had also taken an early dose of her nighttime Melatonin dissolvable pill, and the warm water must have relaxed her to the point of succumbing to her fatigue.
As I dried her off with her favorite monkey towel, I looked into her sapphire eyes and thought about how close I had come to losing her.  A sob choked in my throat and my heart dropped. I cannot imagine not having that child in my life. 

Six years ago this week, I was moving into a new place, enormously pregnant, and wondering how I could possibly have a kid. My life wasn’t set up to accommodate a baby or anything that even smelled remotely of maternal instincts.  How was I going to make room in my life for this little needy person?

What happened was that little needy person not only found room in my life, she became my life. Suffice it to say that if I lost her, I would lose my life…figuratively and literally. Her sweet hugs and kisses feed my soul, her delighted giggles pump through my heart, her curious questions exercise my brain to keep it in shape. She keeps me alive.

So, for her to continue in her current valuable position, I believe showers will now be in order. And we do have a hose in the back yard…

No comments:

Post a Comment