Saturday, April 20, 2013

Life of Pie


I didn't want her to be born on April 19. It was the same day of the Waco, TX tragedy and the bombing of the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City.  I didn't want such a celebratory event to be shadowed by such atrocities. This week has been one of terrible tragedy, as well, but ended with a cautious sigh of relief.

It was six years ago today that I lay in a hospital bed waiting to give birth to a little girl I wasn't sure I was ready for. When my water broke at straight up noon, I asked, apropos of nothing, “What color is it?” I think it was the drugs…

My baby turns six today and will soon be “graduating” from kindergarten and moving on to the real nuts and bolts of elementary school. She is succeeding in the Accelerated Reader program and is poised on the brink of being a precocious little girl, not just a precocious preschooler. Her vocabulary is HUGE, her wit is quick and her heart is pure.

As she lay in her crib at the age of 8 days, I could not imagine her any older than she was right then. Every day I look at her, I can’t see past the moment I am in, gazing into her dark blue eyes, framed by her spun gold hair; can’t fathom her being a 6th grader, entering high school or her leaving for college.  

Every year, I plan an outrageous celebration in honor of her birthday. Let’s face it, the girl is here against incredible odds. She was destined to grace this earth, so what not celebrate in style? This year, we chose a medieval princess and knight theme. Planning has been in full swing since January and I am ready to throw a royal bash the likes of which no one (in the neighborhood, at least) has seen! I have built a castle out of toilet paper and paper towel rolls, baked cupcakes and cookies, arranged a feast fit for royalty, purchased games and favors and costumes. Pictures of this grand event will come later, so check back in a few days. 

Today, we celebrate the life of The Pie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment