Monday, October 24, 2016

Welfare State

Without being too political, I want to state that I believe it's important to help those less fortunate than ourselves. It's behooves us, as a human race, to provide assistance to those who are struggling. I feel that way because I was one of those people.

From the moment she was born, The Pie has been on state medical insurance. Sure, it's free medical and dental care, but it is limited and practically everything must be approved before treatment. It's the best I could do for her at the time and I was thankful to have it. When I could no longer nurse her, WIC was a life saver. The organization provided formula for her and healthy foods for me.

Seven years ago, I found myself unemployed and the sole provider for a two year-daughter. Support from the sperm donor was nowhere near an option, so in addition to applying for unemployment benefits, I also applied for food stamps - what they now call Nutrition Assistance. I was aware of the negative connotation associated with using government assistance, but I had lost almost everything - including my pride - and I needed help. Friends and family helped out as they could by paying a bill here and there, which was so greatly appreciated, and I visited food pantries in the community, but we needed more.

When I moved back home to care for my ailing father, I  added Medicaid to my list of government assistance. Being unable to work meant not having insurance, but I had medical issues that precluded me from just going without. Again, it was free medical insurance, but there were always strings attached. Society, whether intentional or not, makes us feel like we are "less than" if we take advantage of those "welfare" benefits. It's embarrassing and frustrating. But poverty is like that.

I witnessed someone take advantage of the system for years. With two young children, she received free medical insurance, food stamps, housing money and other assistance - all while not working. One career or technical school after another - without completion - kept her in the cycle. But I noticed that it was too easy. There was no motivation for her to change the situation. She was trapped into making welfare a lifestyle.

Almost two years ago, when Dad passed away, I knew some changes were needed. I created a "step-down" program of sorts to get off of public assistance and back to being a productive member of society. I went back to work full-time, got medical insurance and was able to reduce the amount of nutrition assistance I received. For 18 months, I struggled to make ends meet, sometimes juggling bills from one due date to another, all the time worrying about putting gas in the car or clothes on The Pie. I very nearly lost our home. But it was the kindness and generosity of friends near and far that kept me on track. Their support, their encouragement, their tough love and guidance were what helped me get through.

Now, I'm back on track. In one week, The Pie and I will officially be free of ALL government assistance. My new job provides excellent family insurance for us, pays very well (more than I have ever made) - enough that we no longer qualify as living at the poverty level. No more free school lunch, no more food stamps, no more Medicaid.  To me, this is an accomplishment. It took hard work to get to this point. And I'm proud of the fact that I am able to tell my story. Some people never find the wherewithal to walk away from welfare. Government restrictions for the assistance create impenetrable walls that simply serve to trap people in its clutches, not allowing an opportunity to do better.

I don't have any answers about how to make it better - I leave that to the politicians. What I do know, however, is that one person cannot do it alone. It takes a strong support system, providing motivation and praise, to get across that line. That damned poverty line.

No comments:

Post a Comment