Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The New Gig

So...I have taken on a responsibility I never, ever thought I would entertain. I find myself shocked every day that I agreed to it, but it's actually more fun than I ever expected it to be. I'm a babysitter!

It all came about because my lovely young neighbor, who was their previous child care provider, became pregnant with twins and due to complications, was placed on bedrest at 14 weeks. This development left a very sweet woman without child care, and since I had helped out on other occasions, and times being what they were (Wizard of Oz reference, there), I took the job. It allows me to be at home more with Dad, who recently had another hospital stay, and makes a tremendous contribution to our gross household income.

Now, about my charges...Cutie is 13 months old and is just the sweetest, most adorable little girl! She doesn't talk much, which is fine by me, but she cutely babbles and sings herself to sleep. She has a wild mane of dark hair that refuses to be tamed and cheeks that weigh about 4 1/2 pounds each! She is a very good baby, though a little clingy at times. I guess that's what they do at that age. I enjoy having her around the house and Dad gets a kick out of her, but it does make for difficult scheduling of daytime appointments and such.

The there's Brubber...he's 8 and a 3rd grader who purports to know everything about everything.  He is a beautiful boy with dancing brown eyes and eyelashes that I would rob a liquor store for, but man, he can be a pill! He loves to torment The Pie and unfortunately, she provides the response he desires. After all, she's a girl and her tendency to scream and stomp is statistically higher. He and The Pie occasionally find a calm middle ground, and I am ridiculously grateful for those moments. I drop him off at school after The Pie, and we have engaged in many interesting conversations, some quite revelatory and insightful for an 8 year old boy.

I wasn't sure at first how I would take to the new gig, but it is smoothing out and I am establishing a routine. The extra money helps make our ends meet and lessens the stress of worrying about finances on me. Ultimately, I feel like I am providing a much needed service, helping out a nice family, and meeting my responsibilities at home a little easier.

Blessings abound.

No comments:

Post a Comment