Monday, June 6, 2011

Tap, Tap, Tap on My Heart

I love dance...all kinds. I took dance lessons for 14 years and really enjoyed the creative and performance aspect of it. I did tap, ballet, jazz, lyrical, and pointe.  I dreamed of dancing the pas de deux from "The Nutcracker" with Mikhail Baryshnikov and taking Radio City Music Hall by storm. But truthfully, it's hard to parlay dance, particularly solo dance, into a solid financial future. I never entertained dance as a profession, mostly because of my body type, but I truly loved the art form. 

So that's why I signed up the Pie for a 6 week summer dance camp that will teach her introductory tap and ballet. I became nearly spastic at the idea of my daughter following in my dance shoes and couldn't wait to complete the enrollment form. For one hour a week, my child will learn grace and expression through dance and I am certain that even if she just stands there for the entire hour (which I highly doubt). I will be proud of her effort. 

The studio has specific requirements for dance students, so I had to purchase a black leotard, pink tights, tap shoes and non-split sole ballet shoes. They were easy enough to find and fairly affordable, so I excitedly ordered the items online and awaited their arrival. Surprisingly, one item arrived today. 

Shiny, black patent leather tap shoes, sparkling with potential. My tears only made them gleam brighter. I became unexpectedly overcome with emotion thinking about seeing my little Pie take the stage and perform her heart out. I thought about how excited I was when I was young to move from the clunky block sole tap shoes to the character shoes with heels...and someday she may be equally excited. And will share her joy. 

It was just another milestone to mark the Pie's development and maturation. I know she can't stay little forever, but it seems that with every moment that passes, she grows a little more into a big girl. It's a good thing I have a strong heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment